Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Quiet! Be Still! ( the Sea of Galillee) : Day 3

 

The Sea of Galilee

Mark 4: 35-41

   " AS EVENING DREW ON, Jesus said to his disciples,  " Let us cross to the other side." Leaving the crowd, they took him with them in the boat just as he was. .And other boats was with him.

    A violent squall came up and waves were breaking over the boat, so that it was already filling up. Jesus was in the stern, asleep on a cushion. They woke him and said to him," Teacher, DO YOU NOT CARE THAT WE ARE PERISHING?"

     He woke up rebuked the wind and said to the sea, " Quiet! Be still!" The wind ceased and there was great calm.

   Then he asked them, : "Why are you terrified? Do you not yet have faith?"

   They were filled with great awe and said to one another, " Who then is this whom even the wind and sea obey"?


   At 8 am , I was on board the boat to sail on the Sea of Galilee today with my pilgrimage group. Our boat's name is Elijah ( the boats are all named after important men in the Old Testament.) The wind was cool today and the sea was serene. Not even a minute ripple was visible anywhere. The group was chatty initially. Then, Father Ryan read the gospel and asked us for a moment of silence and reflection. I was sitting in the stern of the boat watching the sea and the sun glistening on the water. I  can see from a distance another boat called Moses. Then , I felt it - the Holy Spirit, as I was enveloped with an uncontrolled vulnerability. As hard as I  tried to control it, my tears  gushed like a vibrant spring. I just let it go - all the fears, insecurities and the constant fight that I've had with myself. I was having a moment.

   The Sea of Galilee was the epitome of Christ's humanity. HE WAS ONE OF US. He walked around here, ate, slept, worshipped, worked, fished, read the scroll of the Thora, performed miracles and many more. . He was in the mountains preaching and by the seashore hanging out. This thought of HIM being here made me realize that HE was here to give us comfort and peace. He was here to remind me not to worry about the storms in my life as you long as  I know how to find him, HE will calm my storm. He reminded me to TRUST in him - just like how he commanded the apostles to cast their nets so they will catch lots of fish. He was here walking on water so we can be in awe of him and he waited for us in the shores of Galilee to let us know that death is inevitable but if we TRUST IN  HIM and follow him and living out the gospels, the promise of eternal life is at hand. 

   The Sea of Galilee is 700 feet below sea level whish makes the are tropical and therefore fertile. The abundance of flora and fauna here sustained this area when Christ was here until today - just like the abundance of HIS grace. Olives, bananas, mangoes, avocados, passion fruit and all citruses can grow here with no problems. No wonder this is where he lived most of his life. The Sea (it's technically a Lake but because there's no word for Lake in ancient Hebrew) ,  is truly a Sea of Life.









   I know that GOD called me to be here to affirm as a witness to my faith - to experience a bit of his path. This moment I had today, is for me to know not to be fearful. I know HE got me. I know that he will be there to command the chaos to get lost.

   When we docked back at shore, there was a lightness in me that I knew was from me shedding off the distrust I've had before coming here to the Holy Land.

   We then traveled to Capernaum to celebrate out daily mass at the Church of St Peter.


    Pics from Capernaum:



Mass at St Peter’s church



Old synagogue in Capernaum 



Tilapia from the Sea of Galilee 


The fruit trees around area of Galilee 


No comments:

Post a Comment